Plants are such a part of our lives and taking proper care of these plants is so important. In this video we will learn some of the tips for beginners.
Steps To Take For Purchasing and Maintaining Your Plants
- Know location and amout of sunlight your plant will have
- At nursery check plant tags, also root system, size of pot
- Purchase size pot, anything else while shopping
- Pot should have drainage holes and no valleys in pot to hold water
- Once home, carefully repot plant and water gently
- Watering is very important, not too little and not too much
- Finger test the soil before watering, all plants are different
- Fertilize every 2 – 4 weeks in spring and summer
- All plants need some natural light
- Remove dead leaves to avoid any type of insects
- Prune plants when necessary
- Check folage for insects, if so wash with mild solution of soap and water
- Don’t get discouraged, some plants just die that is the circle of life
#1. Plant Location
Before shopping for your plant, be sure you know the location and lighting situation.
#2. What to look for at Nursery
At the nursery be sure and check the tags, root system and purchase the correct size pot.
#3. Pick the Correct Pot
Always pick a pot with a hole and also perfect drainage. Don’t get a pot with valleys that might hold water. This could cause the plant to die.
#4. Potting Plant
Once home repot plant gently. Water lightly and place plant into pot.
#5. Don’t Put too Much Soil into Pot
Put enough soil into plant to cover well, but leave room for watering.
#6. Finger Testing Each Plant is Important
After watering and testing the soil, find a comfortable home for your plant.
#7. Fertilize in Spring and Summer
Fertilize with a good houseplant fertilizer, usually every 2-4 weeks in spring and summer.
#8. Plants Need Natural Light
Be sure and place your plants as close to natural sunlight as possible. Some plants like the darker areas.
#9. Check for insects
Check your plants for insects. Warm soapy water is best, dry with damp cloth. Remove any dead leaves or foliage.
#10. Don’t Get Discouraged
Just remember don’t get discouraged if a plant dies, that is just the circle of life.
Hopefully you have found this video helpful in the tips for beginners on the maintenance required to have healthy plants. If so, please share with your family and friends on social media… it helps keep the lights on here at GardeningMadness.com.